Just hanging there on your wall doing nothing else than waiting for you to turn it on. With more channels than you can remember (or cover in one month for that matter) the TV just seems like a thing with limitless possibilities, right? I’m sorry to reveal this thing for you: It is not! The television has become the most time consuming item in the world and we have been too busy noticing.
18 months ago I saw a survey that indicated that Danish human beings on average were spending 3,5 hours a day watching television. Three and a half hours! Every day. Every week. Every year. If you reach 80 you would have spend 11 years of your life watching goddamn television……..
I was paralysed for days. Trying to tell myself that these stats of course excluded such a bright you man as me (yeah right). Well, it did not! I figured out that I was almost as bad as the average Dane averaging three hours a day during a typical week. So, from one day to another I decided to throw out my big xx” flat screen TV.
First it was really weird. Then it became frustrating. But then one day I truly enjoyed that I didn’t have to think about watching TV again (at least when I’m home). It is basically like saying goodbye to anything else addicting like sugar, cigarettes or checking your phone all the time. The difference, however, is that you might not be aware that watching television is just as bad as the other addictions because while the other ones clearly are bad for you the television seems somehow unharmfull.
10 reasons for why you should throw out your TV
So, I will hereby invite you to throw out your TV and join this new club of no-television-in-house-peps. Like every other habit we want to change it takes a great deal of discomfort but by this active choice of yours I can guarantee you that after some time you will find yourself enjoying not spending every evening watching the same stupid programs that you of course know do not help you grow as a human being.
Furthermore I will give you 10 reasons for why I believe your life will improve – and how you can spend your hours instead – without a television.
1. If you are an average watcher you will now have 3 1/2 hours of free time every single day that you can spend on whatever you want!
2. If you decide to quit this habit you will be more aware of what else you are spending your hours at.
3. No TV gives you more time to read great books(!).
4. It freezes up time you can spend excising or running and can give you a more healthy lifestyle.
5. It gives you hours and hours you can spend with the people you love.
6. You can actually save some money with no monthly payment for cabel-TV and maybe even earn some bucks by selling your old flat screen TV!
7. You will automatically be more interested in all your other habits – and how you can change them, too.
8. You will simply have more time to spend with nature and mother earth.
9. You will spend less time sitting passively watching and more time taking active choices of yours.
10. Last – but not least – I truly believe that by getting rid of your TV the quality of your life and happiness will improve dramatically!
Thanks for making it to the bottom of the page. Since this is my first blog post I will love to receive comments or critique – and of course let me know if you are now considering throwing out your television! If you actually decide to get rid of your TV coffee is on me next time we meet 🙂